This Turkish Bean Salad, known as ‘Fasulye Piyaz’ was one of the most memorable dishes to eat on my trips to Turkey. In Antalya where the dish is said to have originated, it’s a staple on any menu. Piyaz is a rich, creamy cold Mezze, infused with citrussy lemon and topped with eggs and herbs. It's quite something, healthy, hearty and suitably delicious! Served in a variety of ways, some with tahini, some without in a creamy yoghurt dressing. The white beans are elevated into something very special.
Normally served as small plates (Mezze), Piyaz is an essential choice when filling the table with tasty bites. Other must-try Turkish favourites include the divine carrot salad, beetroot & yoghurt salad and hummus - try my recipe for Black Hummus!
What you'll need
Making Piyaz at home is quick and easy, there’s no cooking required, just mix up the ingredients and your Mezze salad is ready.
- White beans - I use canned cannellini beans, but any small, white bean like butter, navy, great northern and lima beans are all fine by me.
- Lemon & Vinegar - The Piyaz I ate in Turkey all shared a similar sharpness, some more lemon focussed, some more vinegar focussed - I like it more lemon focussed plus a little white wine vinegar too.
- Yoghurt - I like my salad creamy, so use a couple of spoonfuls of thick yoghurt
- Eggs - Most versions of Piyaz will include boiled eggs on top as a garnish. They’re a surprisingly amazing addition!
- Garnishes - I love the crunch of onion alongside sour sumac, fresh dill, parsley or mint and a sprinkling of Aleppo pepper.
Step by Step
This Turkish white bean salad couldn’t be easier to prepare - you can make it in advance and refrigerate until needed. Let it come to room temperature for about an hour before eating, it tastes much better!
- Boil and peel some eggs and set aside
- Mix the beans, yoghurt, oil, lemon, cumin, vinegar and salt & pepper
- Spread onto a platter and garnish with the onion, sumac, eggs, herbs and a drizzle of oil.
More delicious Turkish and Mediterranean Mezze
If you like this Piyaz salad, you might also like to try some more delicious Mezze style recipes.