Stage 2 - Shaping the fresh Garganelli
Shaping the garganelli pasta is easy.
Step 1. Roll out your pasta to a couple of notches from the thinnest setting and then cut into 5cm/2-inch squares.
Step 2. Sit the square in front of you on the gnocchi board on a diagonal - like a diamond.
Step 3. Place a chopstick (or thin piece of dowling over the corner) and begin to roll the pasta away from yourself and around the chopstick. Slide the pasta off the chopstick and that’s it, you made your first garganelli! Now, just repeat until you’ve used up all the pasta. Arrange them in a single layer on a floured board or platter and when done, cover with a tea towel. They’ll hold for a few hours before cooking.
Stage 3 - Making the sauce
All the hard work is done, the sauce is super easy.
1. Sautee the mushrooms – with the garlic and herbs until they’re nice and soft and have intensified in flavour (umami).
2. Add the wine & stock and let it simmer.
3. Add some butter to help create a delicious creamy texture.
4. Cook your Garganelli in a large pan in plenty of salted water for 2-3 minutes and drain. (keep about a cup of the pasta water).
5. Tip the pasta into the sauce along with half the retained pasta water and stir until it’s all coated. Add more water if needed.
6. Parmigiano Reggiano – portion up your pasta and scatter as much cheese as you want over!