Kolkata Shrimp Curry
For a quick hit of Indian flavour and spice, this super-easy Shrimp Curry from Kolkata is everything you need and more. Ready in minutes, gone in seconds!!
This super simple Kolkata Shrimp (prawn) Curry hails from Kolkata (formerly Calcutta) in India's western Bengali region, known there are Chingri malai curry. It's a quick, simple curry to put together - the whole thing ready in around 15 minutes.
Don't think for a second that it doesn't pack a complex curry fix though. Spicy, creamy and rich and layered with flavour.
The perfect 20-minute curry in a hurry
If you're short on time, but love the depth of taste of Indian food - seafood and especially shrimp are a great choice of ingredient. Shrimp take minutes to cook and bring a lot in flavour and texture to a dish. The combination of spices at play in this curry marry excellently with the soft, sweet shrimp.
Seafood curries are quick to prepare and cook - this curry is no exception - done in the same time it takes to cook rice. That's perfection! For more perfection, dispense of the rice and heat a pre bought roti or paratha. It's faster food than fast food!
There's everything to love about this quick and easy treat (perfect for a mid-week meal), so to get the job done quickly and properly, give my Kolkata shrimp curry a go. You might also consider another quick to cook curry South Indian Salmon Curry or my delicious Sri Lankan Thoramalu Fish Curry.
How to make my Kolkata Shrimp Curry
Kolkata Shrimp Curry
Rate this recipePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 lb Shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 fresh chillies thinly sliced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro (coriander) chopped
- salt & pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan or wok over a medium heat. When hot add the onions for about 4 minutes until soft. Add in the garlic and chillies and stir brieflyNow add the paprika, turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala and finally the shrimp and stir fry for 10 seconds.
- Pour over the cream and stir for 1-2 minutes before adding the salt & pepper, cilantro and a little water (about 1/2 cup) to loosen the sauce.
- Let this simmer for another 2-3 minutes until the shrimp are just cooked. Remove from heat and serve.
- Serve with lots of Basmati rice or flatbreads like Naan, roti or paratha.
Did you make my Kolkata Shrimp Curry?
How did you go? Let me know in the comments below and be sure to tag @cookeatworld at Instagram.
Love your recipie! Take a look at my version here in Dubai!